Tuesday 11 October 2011

New oven nerves.........

After the demise of my oven last week I now have a new one and I am now baking with trepidation. My after many happy years with my last oven I knew what she was capable of and knew how to pull off a perfect sponge. (My marker for a happy baker/oven relationship) My last oven was a fan oven and we had a very good understanding of each other.
After taking delivery of my new oven I felt a bit of a traitor to my previous. After all, I had baked our wedding cake, children's birthday cakes and generally grew to love baking everything whilst having a happy relationship with her.
My shiny new oven now in place looked the part but would he deliver? (I made assumptions about its gender by its  slick black and mirrored looks) The first dish I prepared on him was a Braised Beef Chilli, every time I turned my back to go to the fridge I felt like he was smirking a little, like he was my last oven's smug, more technically minded older brother.
But....after a few days and a lot of reading about the switch from a convection to a conventional oven we got along swimmingly and I threw a challenge at him - Choux Buns. I'm very happy to say he performed perfectly and if anything he left my old oven in the dark. (She will remain to be thought of very fondly!)

No comments:

Post a Comment